Zivkovic: Death and Reincarnation in Tibetan Buddhism
Death and Reincarnation in Tibetan Buddhism : In-Between Bodies / Tanya Zivkovic. - London ; New York : Routledge, 2014. - xx, 147 S. : Ill. - (Routledge Critical Studies in Buddhism)
£ 80,00 (Hardcover)
ISBN 978-1-315-88685-5 (Ebook)
Contextualising the seemingly esoteric and exotic aspects of Tibetan Buddhist culture within the everyday, embodied and sensual sphere of religious praxis, this book centres on the social and religious lives of deceased Tibetan Buddhist lamas. It explores how posterior forms – corpses, relics, reincarnations and hagiographical representations – extend a lama’s trajectory of lives and manipulate biological imperatives of birth and death.
The book looks closely at previously unexamined figures whose history is relevant to a better understanding of how Tibetan culture navigates its own understanding of reincarnation, the veneration of relics and different social roles of different types of practitioners. It analyses both the minutiae of everyday interrelations between lamas and their devotees, specifically noted in ritual performances and the enactment of lived tradition, and the sacred hagiographical conventions that underpin local knowledge.
A phenomenology of Tibetan Buddhist life, the book provides an ethnography of the everyday embodiment of Tibetan Buddhism. This unusual approach offers a valuable and a genuine new perspective on Tibetan Buddhist culture and is of interest to researchers in the fields of social/cultural anthropology and religious, Buddhist and Tibetan studies. [Verlagsinformation]
List of figures. xiii
1. Introduction. 1
2. Relics and Reincarnation of Khenchen Sangay Tenzin. 15
3. The Spiritual Mastery or (Spirit Possession) of Gupha Rinpoche. 42
4. Embodying the Past in the Present: Gelongma Palmo. 78
5. Buddhism Across Cultures: Bokar Rinpoche. 104
6. Conclusion. 128
TANYA ZIVKOVIC is a Research Fellow in the School of Social Sciences at the University of Adelaide, Australia. Her research explores the body and cultural trajectories of the lifecourse. Profile page.
- Death and Reincarnation in Tibetan Buddhism: In-Between Bodies. Routledge Critical Studies in Buddhism. xx, 147 S. (2014).
- Rakow: Transformationen des tibetischen Buddhismus
- Tiso: Liberation in One Lifetime
- Dalai Lama V.: The Illusive Play
- Sihlé: Rituels bouddhistes de pouvoir et de violence
- Monastic and Lay Traditions in North-Eastern Tibet
- Schneider: Le renoncement au féminin
- Smith: The Monasteries of Amdo
- Quintman: The Yogin and the Madman
- Butön's History of Buddhism
- Hackett: Catalogue of the Comparative Kangyur