Foulston, Lynn [u.a.]:
Hindu goddesses : beliefs and practices / Lynn Foulston and Stuart Abbott. - Eastbourne, East Sussex : Sussex Academic Press, 2009. - xii, 292,  S. : Ill. - (The Sussex library of religious beliefs and practices)
ISBN 978-1-902210-43-8 / 1-902210-43-3
LCC: BL1216 .F68 2009
This book explores the diversity of Hindu goddesses and the variety of ways in which they are worshiped. Although they undoubtedly have ancient origins, Hindu goddesses and their worship is still very much a part of the fabric of religious engagement in India today. Hindu Goddesses: Beliefs and Practices offers an introduction to a complex and often baffling field of study.
No prior knowledge is necessary as the book is aimed at undergraduate students and anyone interested in the religions and philosophy of India. [Verlagsinformation]
List of Illustrations. ix
Preface and Acknowledgements. xi
Who or what is a Hindu goddess? 1
Goddesses – an aspect of divinity 2
Goddess worship – a legacy from the past? 3
PART I: BELIEFS
1. Śakti – the Divine Feminine. 9
2. Goddesses in Textual Sources. 44
3. Goddess Mythology. 77
4. Tantrism and Hindu Goddesses. 98
PART II: PRACTICES
5. Goddess Worship. 131
6. Goddess Festivals. 155
7. Pilgrimage to the Temples of the Goddess. 183
LYNN FOULSTON is Programme Leader of Religious Studies and Philosophy at the University of Wales, Newport. Her research interests include Jainism, Hindu goddesses and Indian cinema. Her first book, At the Feet of the Goddess: The divine feminine in local Hinduism, was based on fieldwork in Orissa and Tamilnadu. Profile page.
STUART ABBOTT is a Visiting Lecturer at University of Wales, Newport and an Associate Lecturer at Cardiff University. His research interests include Tantrism and Kashmiri Saivism. Profile page.
- Wege zum Heil(igen)?
- Davis: The Bhagavad Gita
- Rao: Re-figuring the Rāmāyaṇa as Theology
- Oliver: Hinduism and the 1960s
- Purāṇas, History and Itihāsas
- Collins: The Head Beneath the Altar
- Okita: Hindu Theology in Early Modern South Asia
- Banāras Revisited
- Schwarz Linder: The Philosophical and Theological Teachings of the Pādmasaṃhitā
- Mapping the Chronology of Bhakti