Classical and Contemporary Issues in Indian Studies
Kumar, P. Pratap [u.a.] [Hrsg.]:
Classical and Contemporary Issues in Indian Studies : Essays in Honour of Trichur S. Rukmani / ed. by P. Pratap Kumar, Jonathan Duquette. - New Delhi : D.K. Printworld, 2013. - xviii, 462 S.
US$ 60,00 (D.K. Printworld)
US$ 74,70 (Bagchee)
This book is a Festschrift volume in honour of Prof. Trichur S. Rukmani that reflects the plethora of issues which she studied in her scholastic life. It includes twenty-four essays by distinguished scholars on various classical and contemporary issues pertaining to Indian studies. While the volume discusses current research in the field of Yoga — Prof. Rukmani's primary research field — it also invites further reflection on other areas of Indian thought which have attracted her attention in the course of her long and fruitful academic career.
The volume is divided thematically into six sections. The first two sections deal with the interpretation of the Yoga, Vedanta and Gaudiya-Vaishnava traditions, exploring issues of hermeneutics, methodology and philosophical analysis. The third section addresses issues of continuity within the Indian tradition and includes essays on tantric Shaivism, Mimamsa and the Bhagavad-Gita. The next two sections feature essays on the Sanskrit philosophical discourse, grammar, epic literature and renunciation in the Indian tradition. The last section of the volume takes up issues of contemporary relevance such as the insights from the Hindu tradition towards environmental ethics, the Svadhyaya movement and its dharmic ecology, non-violence, gender, cultural identity as well as syncretism.
The volume, including essays as diverse as Prof. Trichur S. Rukmani's own scholarly interests, will certainly benefit all scholars and students of Indology, especially those concerned with the religious and philosophical traditions of India. [Verlagsinformation]
TRICHUR S. RUKMANI, retired Professor and Chair of Hindu Studies in the Department of Religion, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada. Faculty page.
- Classical and Contemporary Issues in Indian Studies: Essays in Honour of Trichur S. Rukmani. xviii, 462 S. (2013).
- Sthiramati's Pañcaskandhakavibhāṣā
- Park: Vasubandhu, Śrīlāta, and the Sautrāntika Theory of Seeds
- Eltschinger: Buddhist Epistemology as Apologetics
- Carpenter: Indian Buddhist Philosophy
- Jain Philosophy 2
- The Foundation for Yoga Practitioners
- Companion to Buddhist Philosophy
- dBu ma tshig gsal gyi ti ka (Part 1)
- Higgins: The Philosophical Foundations of Classical rDzogs chen in Tibet
- Eltschinger/Ratié: Self, No-Self, and Salvation